Baltimore Drug Crimes Lawyer
Experienced Advocacy Against Drug Charges in Baltimore County
Drug crimes are among the most commonly heard in courts in Baltimore and nationwide. These crimes can range from possessing a small amount of an illegal narcotic for personal use to drug trafficking massive quantities across state lines.
If you or someone you know has been charged with a drug crime of any magnitude, you should not hesitate to bring in a criminal defense lawyer skilled in handling such crimes in the local courts. At T. Wray McCurdy, P.A., our team has built a long-standing reputation for excellence in legal ability and trial practice and countless referrals from satisfied clients. Our lead attorney is a former Baltimore County prosecutor who knows how the prosecution works. We are here to apply our considerable experience, skills, and tenacity to help you reach the best possible case outcome.
Call T. Wray McCurdy, P.A. today at (410) 834-8466 or contact us online to meet with our drug crime attorney in Baltimore!
Protect Your Rights and Future with an Experienced Drug Crimes Attorney
Being charged with a drug crime in Maryland can have serious consequences that can impact your life for years. It is critical to have an experienced drug crimes attorney who understands the complexities of Maryland's drug laws and can provide you with the strong legal representation you need.
At T. Wray McCurdy, P.A., our Baltimore drug crimes lawyer deeply understands the local legal system and has successfully defended numerous clients against drug charges in Baltimore County and throughout Maryland. We are dedicated to protecting your rights, fighting for your freedom, and minimizing the potential consequences you may face.
When you choose our firm to handle your drug crime case, you can expect the following:
- Personalized and strategic defense tailored to your unique circumstances
- A thorough investigation of the evidence against you to identify any weaknesses
- Aggressive advocacy in negotiations with prosecutors and the courtroom
- Knowledgeable guidance and support throughout the entire legal process
- Protection of your constitutional rights and preservation of your future opportunities
Common Types of Drug Crimes in Maryland
Drug crimes encompass a wide range of illegal activities related to controlled substances in Maryland. Understanding the different types of drug crimes can help you navigate the legal landscape and make informed decisions regarding your case. Here are some common drug crimes in Maryland:
- Possession: Being found in possession of illegal drugs, whether for personal use or with intent to distribute, is a severe offense in Maryland.
- Trafficking: The sale, transportation, or distribution of illegal drugs is considered drug trafficking and can lead to severe penalties.
- Manufacturing: Engaging in producing or cultivating illegal drugs, such as methamphetamine or marijuana, is a felony offense in Maryland.
- Prescription Fraud: Illegally obtaining prescription drugs, forging prescriptions, or doctor shopping are all forms of prescription fraud that can result in criminal charges.
- Drug Paraphernalia: Possession, sale, or distribution of drug paraphernalia, such as pipes or syringes, is prohibited by law in Maryland.
It's important to note that the consequences for drug crimes in Maryland vary depending on the specific offense, the quantity and type of drugs involved, and the defendant's criminal history. Consulting with an experienced drug crimes attorney is crucial to protect your rights and future.
What are the Penalties for Drug Crimes in Maryland?
Maryland has strict drug laws, and the penalties for drug-related offenses can vary depending on several factors, including the type and quantity of drugs involved, the intent of the accused, and any prior criminal record. As your dedicated Baltimore drug crimes attorney, we'll work tirelessly to build a solid defense strategy tailored to your situation. Common penalties associated with drug crimes in Maryland include:
- Possession of Controlled Substances: Simple possession of an illegal drug is generally charged as a misdemeanor carrying penalties of up to four years in prison and/or fines of up to $25,000. However, the actual penalties will depend on the specifics of your case. For example, specific amounts of cocaine, crack, heroin, and other drugs are punishable by up to five years in prison and fines of up to $100,000.
- Possession with Intent to Distribute: If you're caught with drugs and the authorities believe you intend to sell or distribute them, you could face felony charges. Penalties may include substantial fines of up to $15,000 and mandatory minimum sentences of 5 years or more.
- Drug Trafficking: Drug trafficking charges can lead to long prison sentences, especially for large quantities of controlled substances. Fines can range from $25,000 to $50,000 or more, and asset forfeiture may also apply, impacting your financial future.
- Manufacturing or Cultivation: Producing controlled substances, such as methamphetamine or marijuana, can result in significant penalties, including imprisonment of up to 20 years and fines of up to $25,000.
- Prescription Drug Crimes: Misusing or distributing prescription medications without a valid prescription can lead to criminal charges, including fines of up to $100,000 and imprisonment for up to 10 years.
- Paraphernalia Possession: Possessing drug paraphernalia, such as pipes or syringes, can result in penalties like fines of up to $500 and probation.
- Mandatory Minimum Sentences: Maryland imposes mandatory minimum sentences for certain drug offenses, leaving little room for judicial discretion.
Marijuana Laws in Maryland
In 2014, the state passed a law making the possession of less than 10 grams of marijuana a civil offense punishable by a fine of up to $100. Possession of up to 50 pounds of marijuana is a misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail and fines of up to $1,000. Possession of more than 50 pounds is a felony punishable by up to five years in prison and fines of up to $100,000. Cultivation and trafficking carry harsher penalties.
Exploring Defense Strategies for Drug Crimes
When facing drug crime charges in Maryland, having a skilled and experienced attorney who can develop effective defense strategies tailored to your specific case is crucial. At T. Wray McCurdy, P.A., our Baltimore drug crimes lawyer understands the complexities of drug laws in Maryland and will work tirelessly to protect your rights and future.
Our team will thoroughly investigate your arrest's circumstances and gather evidence to build a strong defense. We will explore various defense strategies, such as:
- Challenging the legality of the search and seizure
- Questioning the reliability of witness testimonies
- Examining the chain of custody of the alleged drugs
- Exploring potential violations of your constitutional rights
- Seeking to suppress evidence obtained through illegal means
By employing these defense strategies, we aim to weaken the prosecution's case against you and increase the likelihood of a favorable outcome. We aim to help you navigate the legal system and achieve the best possible result for your drug crime charges.
Contact Our Baltimore Drug Crimes Attorney Today
If you are a first offender in any drug possession case, you may be eligible for a drug diversion program instead of criminal penalties. Ensuring you have the best chance of prevailing in court will depend on your legal representation. In those cases and all other drug crime offenses, you can trust the experience, skills, and resources of T. Wray McCurdy, P.A. We have handled thousands of criminal matters in the local courts, building a solid track record of successful results.
Contact T. Wray McCurdy, P.A., today to schedule a FREE consultation with our drug crimes lawyer in Baltimore!